Monday, July 21, 2008

love, love, love, hate


In my profession, I strive for perfection in everything I do. But when it comes to my personal life -- specifically, camping -- three out of four ain't bad.

Check out today's pics which are snapshots from my 17-hour stay at Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden this past weekend. Saturday morning was a blur of activity for me - client meetings, errands, scavenger hunt to find untreated wood to build our perfect little campfire. After a frenzied hour and a half of packing up our camping gear, stopping at the mini-mart for cold beverages and ice, picking up the necessary permits at the visitor center, realizing that we forgot the tent poles and sending my husband back home to get them, scoping out the perfect spot that was next to a fire pit + on level ground + upwind from the bathrooms, we finally met up with our friends and set up camp. Relaxing day, hmm?

Feeding the ducks and fish at the lake was at the top of our short agenda, but I noticed that my friends' son gobbled up almost as much bread as the ducks did...cute! After a nice walk around the lake, we let the firestarter (aka my husband) do his thing. In a matter of minutes, we were sitting around the campfire cooking our hot dogs, and an hour later we were perfecting our marshmallow-roasting technique.

Overall, I give this mini camping trip 3 out of 4 stars:

Spending time with friends...fun
Cooking over an open flame...fun
Enjoying the splendors of nature (flora)...fun
Enjoying the splendors of nature (fauna)...not so fun
Hearing my husband's reaction to the giant cane spider crawling up the side of our tent...priceless