Sunday, October 3, 2010

Two cents worth...

Staying on top of postal regulations and rates is probably the least favorite part of my job - maybe because I'm often at the mercy of the post office and it's an area of my business that I have absolutely no control over.

A few weeks ago, I informed a roomful of brides and grooms that there was a proposal in the works for yet another postage rate hike expected to take effect in January 2011. I hated being the bearer of bad news, so I made sure that I did my homework, read up on the subject, even asked the postal clerk at my local post office about it...she said it was "pretty much a done deal." Tough decisions loomed on the horizon for many brides -- err on the side of caution and practicality and go with the obvious (yet not-so-chic) choice of Forever stamps? Cling to the fantasy of perfectly matched wedding stationery and purchase pretty Love stamps only to succumb to pairing them with unattractive two-cent stamps? So, the tough decisions weren't so earth-shattering, but in a bride's mind these things matter.

Well, I'm happy to say that the proposal was DENIED a few days ago and while another postage increase is inevitable, we won't have to worry about doling out an extra two cents for first class stamps in the next few months and some lucky brides will be able to send out their invitations without incident. Lucky girls.

I hate it when I'm wrong, but in this instance I'll happily eat my words.

No comments: