Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tulips...good for the soul


Roses = I like
Peonies = I really like
Tulips = I love

My husband bought me potted tulips yesterday and they're proving to be delightfully distracting as I try to plow through all the work that needs to be completed this month. I'm convinced that my brain is firing an extra boost of endorphins every time I look at them. I'm not very good at remembering to take a few minutes each day for meditation and reflection. Today is different, though.

I remember visiting a girlfriend up in Seattle years ago for the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. We drove up north through the farmlands, came around a bend in the road, and then... a blanket of color as far as the eye could see. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen.

So now I can look across my desk at my gorgeous tulips, past my mountain of paperwork, and just breathe.