Thursday, May 22, 2008

My first wedding

This month, my husband and I are celebrating our first anniversary. Time didn't just fly by over the past twelve months...it zoomed by at supersonic speed. The details of our special day are still fresh in our minds and we feel so very fortunate to have such wonderful memories to reminisce about.

But instead of gushing about the past year of wedded bliss, I'm opting to share memories of my first wedding, nearly 20 years ago...for my Barbie and Ken dolls.

The summer wedding took place in Los Angeles, California. The bride wore a hand-beaded white satin gown with detachable train and the groom wore a classic black tux and crisp white ruffled shirt. As a young girl, I was WAY into Barbie dolls. I would spend countless hours dressing them up and playing house with them. One summer, my aunt in California made beautiful clothing for my dolls and somewhere along the way, it was decided that she would sew a custom wedding gown and tuxedo for Barbie and Ken and we would host a beautiful wedding for them during our family vacation to L.A.

I remember visiting Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and Magic Mountain that summer, but the highlight of the trip for me was definitely the BIG WEDDING. Here, in all their wedding glory, are the bride and groom:


We had an eclectic group of guests attending the wedding. From left to right: a Japanese field worker, an Amish woman, a corn husk mouse/maiden, a young George Washington, a Native American girl, and Barbie's maid of honor.


The reception entertainment included me doing magic tricks for my family:


And, the first invitation I ever created:


My, how weddings have changed in 20 years!