Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Confessions of an mp3 lover


I shed a tear when Napster (the original Napster) bit the dust.

I turned to BearShare shortly after that, but grew tired of having to sift through hundreds of versions of the same song just to find the one decent one that didn’t “skip.” I hear that the site is much better now and has gotten a spiffy new facelift...now that it’s legal.

My latest mp3 hotspot is a site that a friend told me about a few years ago, www.gomusic.ru. It’s actually a Russian site, so aside from all the regular Top 40 stuff, I can also download songs from their “Legends of Russian Rock” section if I'm ever in the mood. To get started, I had to deposit a minimum of $20 into my account. I wasn’t crazy about having to put in that money up front, but here’s the kicker…most of the songs are only fifteen cents each! They used to go for ten cents a piece, but honestly I don’t mind paying the extra nickel (I’m a big spender). Plus, when I download an entire album, they give me a 10% discount! Their selection is pretty good, although I sometimes have problems looking for jazz or alternative albums.

I’ve visited the site a lot this past month since I’ve been trying to load up my iPod for my mainland trip. I have $1.51 left in my account. I’m going shopping!

No comments: