Thursday, October 2, 2008

Take note


For a couple of years now, I've been creating small batches of stationery items for craft fairs and for personal gifts for family and friends. At the same time, I've been amassing a huge collection of imported papers. To my husband's dismay, I don't always have a specific purpose in mind when purchasing paper. I guess I'm just a sucker for vibrant colors and pretty prints.

But my ever-growing paper collection came in handy recently when I decided to create a small collection of notecards that will be sold at The Wedding Cafe. After having designed wedding stationery for three years, it's my first step into retail. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit when I say "step"...it's more like I'm dipping my baby toe into the shallow end of the retail world while wearing water wings. It's a start.

All of the notecards are made with imported paper (most from handmade paper) and are paired with pretty metallic envelopes. Half of my collection is accented with Swarovski crystals for a little extra sparkle, while the other half is au naturel. Some of the papers are no longer available for purchase so handing over my completed cards meant saying goodbye to some of my all-time favorite prints. Well, that just gives me a good excuse to look for more paper, doesn't it?