Thursday, February 15, 2007

No spicy tuna here...


I love watching the Food Network challenges. My recent faves: The Gingerbread Challenge, The Flying Knives Teppanyaki Challenge, and The Birthday Cake Challenge. I recently saw The Chocolate Runway Challenge in which five talented pastry chefs had to create a chocolate evening dress that would be worn by a live model and sent down the catwalk. Even as a self-confessed chocoholic, I thought the concept was a bit over-the-top...although I did have a fleeting thought of walking down the aisle in a white chocolate wedding gown and a delicate meringue train.

Anyway, that chocolate-filled episode got me thinking about our wedding favors. One thing that my fiance and I agreed on instantly was that we wanted to send our guests home with a sweet treat at the end of the evening. If we had no monetary (or logistical) constraints, we'd order some of the delectable desserts offered by the Toronto-based company, Chocolate Sushi. The bite-sized morsels are the perfect blend of my favorite food (chocolate) and my fiance's favorite food (sushi)...and most importantly, they would fit like a glove in the small origami boxes that I've been making since the beginning of the year! When I read through the descriptions of these chocolates, it's hard not to drool. For example, here's the description for the second item from the left:

"Roasted hazelnut centers are hidden inside chocolate truffle mousse. Ideal for the chocolate-nut lover, as the chocolate wrapper is rolled in crushed pistachio jewels. Fresh orange segments provide a refreshing burst of flavor."

Mmmmmmm...........