Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Moving in


This past weekend, my CD collection doubled, my DVD collection tripled, and my closet space was cut in half. Oh, and my fiance moved in. It took three days, two trips to the dump, one trip to the Salvation Army, and about 25 trips up and down the very steep and uneven stairs to his apartment...but we got it done. Anyway, here are some quick thoughts about the whole thing.

What I find interesting...
No matter how well you think you know your mate, there are always a few surprises when it comes time to combine your material possessions. For instance, he didn't know that I secretly horde those big paper shopping bags because I just never know when I'll need them, and I never knew that when he said he liked Monty Python, this meant that he owned The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus Megaset containing 14 discs.

This is how much I love him...
For me, giving up closet space is almost as painful as ripping my arm off. It's so valuable to me that my Valentine's gift to my fiance was just that - empty closet space. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to wrap "space" so I simply led him to the closet and said, "Happy Valentine's Day. *sniff* *sniff*." I didn't think there could be anything more difficult than allowing my better half to hang his aloha shirts where I once hung the special occasion dresses that never seem to be dressy enough or casual enough for any occasion. Late last night I realized that I'd have to give up a couple of drawers in my dresser. Eeek! Now that's true love.

The perfect match...
I've always wanted a food dehydrator, now I have one. He always wanted a nice wine rack, now he has one. We'll take turns picking out DVDs to watch when we settle in for a movie night at home...Psycho one night, You've Got Mail the next.

It's all good.