Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Name Game


Last night I played the name game in my head. No, not the one you're thinking of...it was the "Should-I-change-my-name-after-I-get-married" game. It's funny...I was the only one playing the game, and yet I think I still lost.

So my options are as follows:

1) Retain my maiden name (aka don't fix what ain't broke)
I like this option because I not only like my last name, I'm proud of it. It would also make things a lot easier not having to change my name on all my important documents like my driver's license, passport, FREQUENT FLYER MILES CARD!

2) Take my fiance's last name (aka sometimes change is good)
I like my fiance's last name. It's easy to spell and it's easy to pronounce...no matter which part of the country (or world) I may travel to. If we have children, this option would make the most sense and cause the least amount of confusion.

3) Take my husband's last name and keep my maiden name as my new middle name (aka can't let go)
I would go with this option in a heartbeat if it didn't mean dropping my current middle name, Emi. It's the namesake of my business and dropping it doesn't seem right...or smart.

4) Keep my maiden name and hyphenate (aka hyphenators anonymous)
I don't care for the hyphenated last name for myself. It just doesn't look right and the thought of having to spell out my long hyphenated name every time I sign something isn't very appealing. I'll pass on this one.

5) Keep my middle name and maiden name and just add my husband's last name (aka the joy of filling out legal forms)
I'm seriously contemplating this option, even though it's the longest of them all. But how many times in our lives do we really need to sign our full legal name?

6) Take my husband's last name for legal purposes and keep my maiden name for professional purposes (aka double agent)
This is another option that could work for me, although I'm still on the fence about having to keep track of the two different names.

7) Change my name completely (aka who am i?)
There was an episode of Friends where Phoebe is in the midst of planning for her wedding and learns that she can legally change her name to whatever she wants. She chooses, "Princess Consuela Bananahammock." This leads her fiance, Mike, to change his name to "Crap Bag." Hmmm...

7 options to choose from. Grooms are lucky.

Game on.