Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Back it up!


Minutes after posting yesterday's blog entry, my power went out. The good news is that although I had a bunch of other applications running on my computer, I had saved all my work. The bad news is that after the electricity came back on two hours later, my secondary internal hard drive suffered an untimely death. It took a good hour to figure out how to get my computer to reboot successfully. You know how time flies when you're having fun? Well, time stood still during those sixty loooong minutes.

I thought about all my client files that I'd have to somehow rebuild. I thought about the hundreds, no thousands, of irreplaceable photos that I'd never be able to retrieve. And then I thought about...THE WEDDING FILES.

The guest list.
The vendor contracts.
The detailed budget spreadsheet.
The photos that I collected from who-knows-where that would provide inspiration during the moments when I felt uninspired.

This mini panic attack was enough to make me go out and buy an external hard drive today. It wasn't cheap...boy, it really wasn't cheap...but I guess the peace of mind is worth it. So learn from my (almost) disaster. Back it up. Today.