Wednesday, May 18, 2011

inspiration anywhere #1: curtains


As much as I'd like to be able to have a flash of creativity at any given time, it just doesn't happen like that - for me, at least. I can sit in front of my laptop for hours, eyes fixated on the screen, mouse in hand, "mood music" piped in via Pandora, and nothing happens. When I'm unable to find inspiration within myself, I always look elsewhere...someplace outside the world of weddings or stationery, someplace that's visually appealing or someplace that just makes me happy.

I had a little creative letdown yesterday and I started thinking about all the brides out there planning their weddings. I always tell my own clients to bring along magazine tear sheets or online photos that they've collected as inspiration for their wedding, as these images speak volumes about their personal style and taste. Ninety-percent of the time, brides will bring wedding-related photos - reception decor, flowers, dresses, etc. Once in awhile, I'll get to see something completely different. In recent months, one bride brought in a photo of a henna tattoo, another bride brought in a wallpaper swatch, and another bride wore a collection of beautiful bangle bracelets that reflected the subtle shades in her wedding color scheme.

It's not always easy to think outside the box and allow yourself to be inspired by everyday things, so I thought it was time to start a new weekly series on the blog called, "inspiration anywhere." I hope it helps to unleash some creative possibilities!

First up, I spotted these ombre curtains on the Anthropologie site and instantly realized how it could translate into a beautiful wedding invitation. Here's the ombre curtain in blue:
Wavering Ombre Curtain via Anthropologie
And my interpretation for a wedding invitation:

 And the ombre curtain in coral:
Wavering Ombre Curtain via Anthropologie
And my take on it:

These invitation designs represent very literal interpretations of the curtains, but I could have taken it in a number of different directions. Instead of filling the whole card with color, I could have applied the ombre effect to a large flower in the corner of the invitation. Or, I could have translated the crocheted paillettes (they run vertically on the curtain panels) as a background watermark pattern.

If you see something that catches your eye, in colors that you love, don't be afraid to take wedding inspiration from it!

2 comments:

K.T. said...

Gasp! I love this Inspiration Anywhere section, and I love how you translated curtains into an invitation. Now THAT takes talent!

emi said...

*blushing* thanks!