Thursday, May 5, 2011

Help us help you

When I'm meeting with my clients for the first time, I can normally size them up pretty quickly and assign them to one of three categories after a few minutes of discussion:

1) I HAVE A CLEAR VISION, PLEASE EXECUTE IT FOR ME.
This client knows exactly what they want from distinct color, to style, to specific fonts. They've labored over all the details and may have even put together a mock-up of the design themselves. Little time is wasted in making decisions

2) I KNOW WHAT I LIKE AND DON'T LIKE, PLEASE HELP ME TRANSLATE THIS.
This client may come in with magazine tear sheets, fabric swatches, images of different invitation styles that they've collected off the internet. They have a general idea of the design direction they'd like to go in, but need guidance in how to pull it all together.

3) I HAVE MY COLORS PICKED OUT. THAT'S IT. PLEASE HELP ME...I'M BEGGING YOU
This client wants an overview of every option that's available. They're not sure if they want something simple or something elaborate. They appreciate a slow and steady approach in which they can see lots of samples in hopes that something will spark the perfect inspiration.

Honestly, I don't prefer one type of client over the other. I enjoy quick and efficient consultations with my "clear vision" clients just as much as I enjoy the challenge of helping couples discover their personal style preferences. It's all good. But what makes it even better is when my clients are open to suggestions and can benefit from my experience or knowledge. For example, maybe your dream invitation includes a beautiful satin bow wrapped around the outside sleeve but you don't realize that this will add bulk and require additional postage. Or maybe you're having a plated dinner and never thought to include menu options on your response cards.

You can't possibly be expected to know all the ins and outs of invitations, or anything wedding-related for that matter, but that's what you should rely on the professionals for. Allow them to guide you, offer their expertise, and you can reap the benefits from their years of experience and knowledge. Relieve the pressure to know all, do all, control all. Help us help you.

And in my own personal attempt to not do all and control all, I've decided to give my coffee maker more control in my daily life. For the first time, I set up the auto brew function and came downstairs this morning to the smell of freshly brewed coffee. I never trusted it to actually come through for me like this, but that's part of own silly control issues hard at work. Yeah, anyway...


No comments: