Thursday, June 12, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love


I love traveling for many reasons - eating, shopping and experiencing new things are among the most obvious ones. But another huge reason why I love getting away for a bit is because I actually find time to read.

As a child, I was an avid reader. I remember frequent trips to the public library with my mother and loading up on Beverly Cleary books. Through the years, books took a backseat to TV, boys, friends, and most recently, work. Putting aside some quiet time to read (and not fall asleep) is a rare thing these days, but I'm determined to kick my summer reading into gear.

On our recent vacation to Seattle, I started reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. I got about a third of the way through before LIFE interrupted. I'm embarassed to say that it's been sitting on my nightstand untouched for the past two weeks.

But I have a plan. A plan to carve out more time for myself, more time to unwind, and more time to enjoy the things that I used to enjoy before life got so hectic. Yay for me!