Thursday, June 5, 2008

Birthday blues


I celebrated my birthday earlier this week and had an unexpected guest show up for my birthday party. I was very surprised when this guest showed up because I hadn't seen him in awhile and never on my birthday! But I was raised to be gracious and accepting so I welcomed him, although a bit reluctantly, to share my special day with me.

His name was Father Time and he was kind enough to bring along a fun party game with him called, "Take stock in your life since it's your birthday and, by the way, you are undeniably the oldest you've ever been in your entire life." Guaranteed fun for hours.

So I set up the board, selected my game piece, and rolled the dice. I promptly landed on "Career Carousel" and thought about the strange twists and turns that my career has taken over the years. Who would've thought that with an accounting degree under my belt I'd end up as an invitation designer in the wedding industry? I continued playing the game with multiple stops at "Romance Alley" and "Friends/Family Boardwalk" and then I was done. I looked up and Father Time was gone. I had completed a thorough inventory of all life's lessons that I had stockpiled, given silent thanks for everything and everyone in my life, and declared myself the winner by a landslide.

Although Father Time was nowhere in sight, he did leave me with the teeniest, tiniest bit of the birthday blues. But my dear sweet husband surprised me with the perfect remedy for the birthday blues...more birthday blues...Tiffany blues. The celebration will continue this weekend with a proper birthday celebration dinner filled with guiltless birthday calories and lots of laughter.