Thursday, June 27, 2013

A True (and Silly) Story

First, the story I'm about to tell is 100% true. No stretching of the truth or taking creative liberties for humor's sake here. Second, I pushed to get permission to write this story because I thought it was an important story to tell. Finally, I'm going to let the story unfold at the very end because that's the funniest part...and if you don't make it to the end of the post you won't be missing out on anything.

The End:

Temporary art installation on my newly painted wall ("Not So Silly String")
The Middle:
I spotted a big ol' cockroach in the hallway, right outside our bedroom door and there was absolutely no way that I was going to turn in for the night knowing that HE was lurking around outside. I called to my husband, and he said, "Quick, get me the can!" He ran downstairs to get a broom (my fancy, expensive broom with the ergonomic handle) and I ran to get his can.

Most people would assume that I grabbed the can of roach spray...oh, how I envy those people with common sense and deductive reasoning. No, my husband was asking for his can of silly string that was sitting on the nightstand.

He returned with the broom and I handed him the silly string. His plan was to encapsulate the roach in a cocoon of silly string, thus rendering it helpless and motionless. My plan was to stand back, watch my husband channel "Spiderman", and try not to say "I told you so" when the roach escaped from his bubblegum pink web.

Surprisingly (not really) my husband's plan failed while my plan went off without a hitch.

The Beginning:
One might think that using silly string on a B52-sized cockroach was a spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment decision. Yeah, one might be dead wrong. This was a well thought-out action sequence by my sweet husband. He had bought the silly string weeks earlier and was waiting ever so patiently to "unleash the terror." In his defense, it was not well-executed since his original plan was to use 3-4 cans of silly string simultaneously and attack the roach from various angles. I believe that this would have worked. I also believe in unicorns and the tooth fairy.

But my husband humors me all the time when I have silly ideas and crazy whims, so who am I to judge?

No comments: