Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Simple pleasures


I'm in a constant struggle to keep my studio tidy and clutter-free. I admit that on most days, it's a losing battle. Today for instance, I spent the good part of an hour cleaning up the mess that I created in preparing for last weekend's expo. Mountains of paper were dwindled down to a few sparse stacks, tools were put away in their respective drawers, and amazingly, I cleared up some precious floor space. I only enjoyed my clean space for a few brief hours, though, thanks to a large UPS delivery of brand spankin' new supplies/materials. Such is life.

Amid the organized clutter and chaos, is my "zen" wall that holds a large, hanging calendar with no room to jot down any notes or impending deadlines, and an empty bulletin board. It wasn't my intention to leave the bulletin board blank, but I'm enjoying the lovely chartreuse damask pattern quite a bit. I find myself looking up at this wall several times a day and relishing in its simplicity. A calendar that only tells me what day it is and refuses to remind me what's coming up tomorrow, next week, next month. A bulletin board that's waiting for just the right piece of inspiration to be pinned to its blank canvas. Perfectly simple...and simply perfect.