Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009...already?


I know that I'm a week late, but Happy New Year to you all! After taking such a long break from blogging, I intended to recap the highlights from the holidays and our trip home to Chicago. Instead, I want to share the lessons I learned as I think they're much more important:
  • 18 hours without electricity isn't such a bad thing when you're in the company of people you love
  • don't wait for Santa to bring you the car phone charger that you so desperately need...just go out and buy it already!
  • using miles for a first class upgrade on a 9-hour direct flight is a VERY GOOD THING
  • chocolate peanut butter cup pies from Baker's Square are heavenly
  • calories don't count during the holidays
  • sooner or later, I WILL beat my mother-in-law at Boggle...maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but someday.
  • there's a big difference between 35-degrees and 15 degrees, and with the wind-chill factor...fuhgeddaboudit!
  • I CAN visit Bath and Body Works and spend less than 15 minutes and less than $25 there (this one's for my husband)
  • I CAN visit Paper Source and spend less than 30 minutes and less than $50 there (this one's for my husband again)

In the past two weeks, I also learned a very important lesson about love. We lost someone special in our lives and through the mourning process, my husband and I witnessed and experienced great love and support from family and friends. I'm reminded once again to never underestimate the power of enduring friendship, a shoulder to cry on, and the bonds of family that keep us together.

Here's wishing that 2009 is a year filled with joy, love and laughter for us all.