Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hunting butterflies


It's not very often that my job involves "field work," but a couple of months ago, that's exactly what I did. A bride had scheduled a consultation with me and mentioned that she was inspired by the color of the butterfly display in Neiman Marcus. She said it was kind of a goldish, yellowish, greenish tone. I'm normally pretty good at envisioning colors, but this one I had to check out in person. I grabbed my camera, picked out a cute outfit suitable for loitering around the Neiman Marcus escalators, and set out to capture the goldish, yellowish, greenish butterflies on my digital camera.

I've always loved the store's butterfly display. So pretty, so delicate, so whimsical...so impractical to duplicate in my home. Each butterfly is constructed of two pairs of painted feathers and when they catch a bit of sunlight through the skylights, it's a sight to behold.

Back to the bride and her wedding invitation...we were able to translate the colors beautifully and I had so much fun creating the custom design that represented the couple's journey to marriage. I have a "thing" about publishing any photos of invitations for weddings that haven't taken place yet. It's partially out of respect for the couple's privacy and partially because it's like sneaking a peek at your birthday present when your birthday is still months away. Until I add photos of their invitation to my gallery, just picture a whimsical design in a beautiful goldish, yellowish, greenish color.