Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The groom who knew his colors


When I'm meeting with clients and I hear words like "aquamarine" or "caspian" or "sunstone", these words are usually coming out of my own mouth. Brides normally hold their own quite well in the "Name That Color" game, and will meticulously flip through paper swatch books with ease and flair. Grooms, however, don't often share the same level of skill and precision as their female counterparts.

In my experience, grooms have a hard time appreciating the subtle differences between soft pink vs. baby pink, or garnet vs. cranberry. To the testosterone-driven groom, red is red, green is green, and pink is...not a color that he wants on his wedding invitations.

This past weekend, imagine my delight when I met the groom who knew his colors. The couple had done their homework before meeting me, and had some ideas of what papers they wanted to use. As I was showing them samples of paper stocks, I was almost speechless when the groom turned to his lovely bride and said, "Hey, weren't we looking at Pyrite? And I think the other color we liked was Ecru Micah." Egad! Could this really be happening in the middle of my consultation? Had I really found the ever-elusive TECHNICOLOR GROOM?

Maybe he was one of the lucky kids in school who had a 64-color Crayola set with a sharpener in the back of the box. Or, maybe he loved to dye Easter eggs and had become a skilled mixologist of colors.

Or, maybe...just maybe...he truly loved his bride and cared enough to get involved in the wedding planning.

Thanks, C + J, for a fun consultation that will go down in the Emi Ink history books.