Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More than meets the eye


With Valentine's Day just two weeks away, I thought it was time to share this little gem with all of you. A friendly warning: it's a little geeky (or a LOT geeky, depending on how cool you are) and it's not for the faint of heart.

Over the past few years, my husband and I have exchanged handmade cards to celebrate special occasions. It's easy to guess which one of us started this tradition, but we both look forward to receiving our cards and, quite honestly, we never know what to expect. For his birthday last year, I decided to kick it up a notch and create the mother of all cards...one that would transform.

I brainstormed. I googled. I found the perfect downloadable PDF template that would help me "transform" a mere sheet of cardstock into Optimus Prime himself. Little did I know that this little project would take me hours to complete (it's the perfectionist in me). But the end result was a menacing 6" Autobot with moveable parts that when folded and tucked in the proper way, transformed into a compact semi-truck.

Was it worth the time and effort? I'm not sure. But if I ever do something like this again, a glass of wine sure wouldn't hurt.