Sunday, January 6, 2013

Courtesy of Mother Nature

I spent the last day of 2012 flying from Chicago to Denver to Honolulu. I wasn't particularly looking forward to 12+ hours of travel, even with a free upgrade to first class, but somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, I realized that I'd be treated to some amazing inflight entertainment via Mother Nature.

I snapped my first photo shortly after take-off, about 2 seconds after we were allowed to turn on our electronic devices. Then I proceeded to take photos just about every five minutes thereafter because I wanted to capture every moment of the spectacular sunset unfolding outside my window. Yes, I'm sure my dork factor went up a couple of notches but I just couldn't look away (unlike Mr. Seat 2A behind me who pulled his window shade down just as the clouds turned a fiery red-orange).

So, between the color explosion outside and the local celebrity spotting across the aisle from me, it was a pretty enjoyable flight. I will keep said celebrity's identity a secret out of respect for his privacy...and the fact that I have absolutely nothing juicy to reveal (i.e. he requested only one topping for his ice cream sundae, among the dozen or so that were available). Perez Hilton, I am not.

A beautiful send off to 2012.