Friday, January 28, 2011

Sink or swim? She swam!


Meet Jessica. I call her the "chosen one."

For the record, she chose me...and I'm so thankful that she did! At the time that her short and sweet email inquiry appeared in my inbox, I wasn't sure if I was ready to bring on an intern. I played out different scenarios in my head, weighed the pros and cons, and ultimately went with my what-the-heck gut feeling.

If you visited my booth at the Hawaii Bridal Expo, you may have met Jessica. It was her first show and after arming her with a short list of FAQs to study a few weeks earlier, I threw her into the bride-infested waters of a busy show (much busier than I had anticipated!). It was sink or swim time and Jess freestyled her way through three days of wedding mania with absolute style and grace.

I don't underestimate my good fortune in having an intern whose passion for paper may very well surpass my own. Her crafty talents also crossover into the jewelry world and she's working towards the launch of her own web site while juggling a full class schedule.

But, the one person who may appreciate Jess even more than me? My husband. With Jess assisting me at the expo my husband had the house to himself most of the weekend to do manly man things. For the first time in five years, he didn't need to be my wingman and he l-o-v-e-d it. Needless to say, Jess is a popular person in my house and a wonderful addition to Emi Ink!

No comments: