Monday, March 24, 2008

Preserve the dress


My last post was about trashing the dress. This post is all about the flip side...preserving the dress.

It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my gown after our wedding. The sentimental bride in me wanted to keep my dress forever in pristine condition with hopes of maybe passing it down to my daughter one day. The more practical, organized, neat freak in me (and I use the term "neat freak" very loosely) wanted to sell it or donate it. I had my dress hanging on a bookcase in the bedroom for MONTHS before my husband got tired of seeing it and begged me to "just do something with it...anything!"

After another couple of busy and indecisive months, I decided to have my gown cleaned and preserved and knew exactly who to call to take care of it. I had worked with Gabriela Quaid from Keepsakes Wedding Gown Preservation to have my gown pressed before the wedding, and was more than impressed with her service. Gabriela personally picked up the gown/veil from my home the week of our wedding, and delivered it straight to our hotel the day before our ceremony. I LOVED not having to worry about transporting the gown myself in a van packed with other wedding goodies.

Anyway, I arranged for my gown cleaning/preservation and, once again, Gabriela provided personal pick-up and delivery service. Upon seeing my dress for the first time, beautifully wrapped in archival papers and looking as pretty as the day I wore it, I was so genuinely happy that I decided to preserve it. I was advised to check it out once a year and make sure that everything looks exactly as it should (our anniversary will be a good date to do the yearly check-up).

If this post helps just one indecisive bride out there in the world, I'll be happy. And tell Gabriela that I sent you.