Friday, October 19, 2007

Birthday soufflé


About 24 years ago, there was a girl who used to sit behind me in health class. She had this habit of kicking my school bag that was hanging off the back of my chair. I'd go home, take my books out of my bag, and see the brown scuff marks that her shoes had left behind. It happened every single day for a whole year. It wasn't like she was stealing my lunch money or bullying me in the halls, but her dirty little habit (aka her wayward feet) definitely left a lasting impression on me...so much so that we've been best friends ever since.

Fast forward two and a half decades, and Crazy Legs and I (with our husbands in tow) headed to Roy's Restaurant in Hawaii Kai for a fabulous birthday celebration. The appetizers were to-die-for, the entrees were delicioso, but the dessert...oh, the dessert! There are good soufflés and then there are GOOD soufflés. What we indulged in were GOOD soufflés, the kind that bring tears to your eyes when you scrape up the last bit of chocolate from your plate. We definitely fell off the healthy diet wagon that night, but I would have done a swan dive for a dessert that good.

To my best friend, Crazy Legs, we had a blast celebrating your birthday and I wish you much happiness and chocolatey soufflés in the year ahead!