Thursday, March 19, 2009

Are you a DIY-er?

DIY...if you don't know what this acronym stands for, chances are you don't do it. Or maybe you wish you could do it but don't know how. Or you could already be doing it but just never knew what it was called.

DIY = Do It Yourself

As in...DIY invitations or DIY flowers or DIY favors for your DIY wedding. It seems like with the right amount of creativity and TIME, you could virtually do anything and everything for your wedding by yourself (except maybe the officiating?).

Last night I participated in The Wedding Cafe's DIY workshop held at the Willows Restaurant for all the crafty brides. Err, correction...brides AND GROOMS. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many guys attended the workshop! I don't care what anyone says, REAL MEN aren't ashamed to use glue dots or learn how to apply Swarovski crystals.

We had a total of about 40 people in attendance, four crafting stations, and ten minute rotations at each station. By the end of the night, I really felt like we had all been through a weird, crafty version of speed dating! For my session, I decided to do things a little differently and instead of doing a single demo, I focused on the crafting tools and supplies that people might need for all their cool DIY projects. It definitely was a fun night!