Monday, July 9, 2007

Beach bums


While many of my compadres were bogged down with 7.7.7 weddings this past weekend, my husband and I headed to the North Shore and landed at Sunset Beach. It was a rare treat for us and we relished every relaxing moment.

The drive itself made me nostalgic for the many trips that I made with my family as a young kid. My mom used to keep a gallon jug of water in the trunk of our station wagon to rinse off our feet before we climbed back into the car after a long day at the beach. Picnic lunches consisted of fried chicken, musubi, and passion orange juice. Ahh, the good ol' days.

I couldn't help but notice the things that have changed since then. Where there used to be only one shrimp truck in Kahuku, there are now 4? 5? 20? Each one has a big sign that reads "FAMOUS" or "ORIGINAL" and attracts masses of tourists huddled under outstretched canopies with sticky, garlicky fingers. The main stretch of road in Haleiwa seems different to me, too...like it almost has that "new car smell." Hard to describe, but even harder to forget.

Of course, some things are the same. On Saturday at 5:00pm, Matsumoto's had a line that snaked out the door and around the corner of the building...and 50 feet away, Aoki's line wasn't much shorter.

It was such a fun, easy, relaxing day and by the time we were driving through Wahiawa on our way back home, I had fallen asleep in the car. Some things never change.