Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The unexpected shower


I may be biased, but I think that I have the best girlfriends in the world. They've been there for me through the craziest times in my life, and whenever I'm with them the laughs never stop. A few days before the wedding, I had lunch with my girlfriends and despite my strong protests, our simple lunch turned into a bridal shower...and I loved every minute of it.

We headed over to Indigo for their tasty buffet lunch and were seated at a table by the window...far away from the other diners. Once we polished off our dim sum appetizers and fresh veggies, the bridal shower fun began. With a nod to Oprah's Favorite Things, my girlfriends "showered" me with gifts and amusing explanations to go along with them. The pièce de résistance, however, was a gift that I will treasure for many years to come. My friends presented me with a scrapbook that they had lovingly made for me -- each person had contributed a few pages chronicling the fun times that we had shared. One friend, who shall remain nameless, even included an excerpt from a note I had written to her about 20 years ago. You can always count on old friends to resurrect all the embarassing things from your past!

There are few things in life that are more enjoyable than laughing and chatting with girlfriends over lunch.