Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Musubi 2.0


When your meal begins with an amuse bouche, you know you're in a nice restaurant. When you look at your menu and see a musubi priced at $19, you know you're in a really nice restaurant.

On Saturday night, I had the pleasure of dining at Hoku's restaurant at the Kahala Hotel. The meal was wonderful, the service impeccable, and the views picture-perfect. My fiance is starting a new job this week and it was the perfect excuse to splurge on a celebration dinner.

The food was definitely tasty, but I must admit that the item that impressed me really was the musubi (yes, I ordered it!). It definitely wasn't the kind that mom used to make with the umeboshi in the middle. They mixed in ahi poke with the rice, covered it with furikake, fried the outside and served it on a bed of ogo. Yum!

Spam musubis will always have a special place in my heart, but if there were an ultimate musubi fighting championship, the ahi musubi would be the clear cut winner!