Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Olympic sighting


Sometimes, three-day weekends mean three days of work. Sometimes, it means three days to get caught up on errands and chores. But sometimes, not often enough these days, it means having some fun and putting in some serious R&R time.

My husband and I headed over to the Stan Sheriff Center twice this past weekend to watch the UH Rainbow Wahine volleyball team battle Penn State and UCLA. Friday night's game was quick and dirty (match point came after only 90 minutes of play), but Sunday night's game offered moments of pure joy and excitement despite UH's loss to the Bruins.

So as not to launch into a virtual play-by-play commentary, let me just say that one other highlight from Sunday night was seeing Bryan Clay, 2008 Olympic gold medalist in the decathlon. Yes, I was really excited to cheer for a hometown hero and fellow alumnus...but as far as I could tell, so were the thousands of other fans sitting with me.