Monday, September 24, 2007

GYM is not a 4-letter word



It was a dark and stormy night. I looked at the building before me with trepidation and fear beacause I knew what was waiting for me on the other side of the door. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves and gently pushed the door open. I grudgingly accepted my fate as I took my first steps back into THE GYM.

Perhaps my return to THE GYM wasn't that dramatic, but it was pretty close. Trepidation, fear, resistance...true, true, true. There was a point in my life when lunchtime workouts, daily walks, and 20-mile bike rides were commonplace. I like to refer to this as the "wonder years" because I look back on those times and wonder where I got the energy to do all of that. Fast forward seven years and there are days when my only cardio exercise involves rolling across the studio on my desk chair when I need to reach my printer. Sad, but true.

So I've finally made the decision to take care of my body inside and out which means plenty of sleep, a healthier diet, and daily exercise at THE GYM. It will be a dramatic lifestyle change but the fact that my husband will be changing right alongside me should make it a little easier. I hope.